Thursday, December 21, 2006

Karmann Electric

As is known as a true fact I'm a radical websurfer. And almost nothing in the world of VW amazes anymore (I know, modesty is not always my forte). But when I saw this ecofriendly project, I was in awe. Pardon me, as this car resides in the USA, so, well out of my regular hunting grounds. Still every normal treehugging Scandinavian would love to run this through the pine tree forests up north.

This is the oddest engine bay of a nicely restored Ghia, or according to the January Hot VW's, rather called modified, as the drivetrain went through some changes. A bus tranny and porsche trailing arms are now mated to the 67 bodywork. What's most out of the ordinary is off course the engine. A high power electric engine normally pushing a hydraulic forklift pump, altered to fit in and propel the Ghia to high speed.

And this is to an electric engine what regular pumpgas is to a, dare I say, ordinary Karmann. There's up to 1800 coldcranking Amps at hand, and that is massive. I only wonder about the weight as, I have some big 1100 Amp batteries at home for my powersupply, and they weigh in at 600 kilo's.

And last but not least, this is an artists rendition of what the final result should look like. I'm personally not sure on the teledials, though I kind of like them, but maybe not on this car. The script is also great, made by yet another artist who, I guess, loves this project. I love the tongue in cheek VOLTSWAGEN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home